Viveknagar (Amtali) – The Central Office Ramakrishna Mission, Agartala, West Tripura
The Ramakrishna Math, Viveknagar, Tripura (West), PIN-799130 is a branch of Ramakrishna Math, Belur Math, Dist. Howrah, West Bengal. It started functioning in Tripura from 13 December 1966 as an unaffiliated Ashrama under the name of Sri Ramakrishna Sevashrama, in the village presently known as Viveknagar, 8 km to the south of Agartala, the capital city of Tripura. It was affiliated to Ramakrishna Math, Belur Math as its branch on 29 May 1989.
The Temple at Viveknagar was consecrated by Revered Swami Prabharandaji Maharaj, the then General Secretary of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission, on 3rd December 2011.
Viveknagar is the Central Office as well as the hub of major educational activities of Agartala Branch of Ramakrishna Mission. The Educational Complex was inaugurated on 29 May 1989.
Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission, Agartala has a sub Centre in Agartala city as follows:
Ramakrishna Mission, Gangail Road
The Agartala Branch of Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math was started on 25 March 1985 when the Governing Body of Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math, West Bengal, took over the management of Sri Sri Ramakrishna Ashrama, Gangail Road, Agartala, an unaffiliated Ashrama established by devotees on 29 May 1950, at the request of the latter. Notably, the first service activity of the Mission in Tripura dates back to 1949 when the Mission conducted a major relief work at Anandanagar, near Agartala followed by another major flood relief work at Kamalpur in 1983.
The said Ashrama renamed as ‘Ramakrishna Mission, Gangail Road’. Till 28 May 1989 this centre was the hub of Ramakrishna Mission’s activities in Tripura with its following activities: conducting regular value-based public discourses at its existing Lecture Hall attached to the Prayer Room, Show Room of value-based literature, a small Library, a free Students’ Home, free medical clinics, etc. After the establishment of Ramakrishna Mission Educational Complex at Viveknagar on 29 May 1989, this centre started functioning as the sub-centre of Viveknagar centre. The old building was sanctified by the visits of Swami Nirvananandaji Maharaj, Swami Saradeshanandaji Maharaj (disciple of Holy Mother) who stayed here for about two years and also Swami Vireshwaranandaji Maharaj who imparted mantra diksha here 12 times.
The old building has been replaced by newly constructed Multipurpose Hall cum Students’ Home which was consecrated by revered Swami Prabhanandaji Maharaj, the then General Secretary of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission, on 2nd December 2011.